Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Not So Silence of the Starter

Well, at last the solenoid arrived! Along with the slightly less important, new hand grips. After ripping the package open, I went straight to my "workshop" and attached the new solenoid. It was smooth sailing attaching all the wires and bolts. After everything was ready I turned the key, pressed the power...... and nothing, not even a click from the new solenoid. I figured the issue must be in the wiring, so I traced the wire all the way until it split into two paths one to the starter the other to the clutch!! I realized I have to squeeze the clutch to start the bike!!! I tried it this was and the solenoid click!! But still not starter, at this point I walked off annoyed.
The next day I came back to the bike refreshed and realized the starter motor had no negative current, so for a test I placed it on the engine case, pressed the button, and.... IT FIRED!!!
 The new solenoid waiting to be installed.
 Nice new hand grips, half waffle grip.
 The backs.
 Experimenting with possible paint ideas, of black and white. The whole tank would be black except where the tape is, with white pin strips.
 How I think it would connect to the side cover.
Thanks to my friend Brien, toying with the idea of a nice Union Jack on one of the side covers.

2 comments:

  1. Also make sure you lock your tire to the frame of the bike, and the bike frame to the bike rack.

    bike bell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toyota dealerships have statistics that they never had to rebuild the engine in a Previa with less than 400,000 miles (unless someone did something foolish, like run it with no water or oil).

    Previa Dealers

    ReplyDelete